There are two ways to be admitted into the PhD program: direct admission or through the IBS Program.
Direct Admission Requirements
Applicants must meet the following requirements for admission to the University of Kentucky Graduate School and the Department of Pharmacology and Nutritional Sciences, Division of Nutritional Sciences:
- A baccalaureate degree from a fully accredited institution of higher learning.
- An M.S. degree with a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.2 or above on a 4.0 scale, or a B.S. degree with a GPA of 3.0 or above on a 4.0 scale.
- An average Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score on the verbal, quantitative and analytical sections that is greater than the 50th percentile.
- For international applicants, a minimum score of 550 out of 667 maximum possible is required on the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), a minimum 213 score on the computer-based TOEFL (maximum 300), or 79 on the internet-based TOFEL. The minimum International English Language Testing Service (IELTS) score is 6.5. All applicants must demonstrate proficiency in verbal and written English.
All those interested in graduate study at the University of Kentucky Graduate School must apply online via Hobson's ApplyYourself Application Network. There is a $65 application fee for domestic applicants and a $75 application fee for international applicants. Please note that the application cannot be submitted without paying this fee.
The following information must be submitted online to the Graduate School via ApplyYourself:
- Transcripts from all higher education institutions attended. The Graduate School requires an overall undergraduate grade point average of 2.75 and 3.00 on all graduate work.
- GRE scores are required for admission. GRE scores should be sent directly from Educational Testing Service (ETS); the Institutional Code for the GRE for the UK Graduate School is R1837.
- TOEFL or IELTS scores are required for all applications whose native language is not English.
- TOEFL scores should be sent directly from ETS; the Institutional Code for the TOEFL for the UK Graduate Schoool is R1837.
- IELTS scores should be sent directly from the IELTS, specifying the University of Kentucky Graduate School, Lexington, KY as the recipient institution.
- Curriculum vitae
- A brief essay, no longer than two single-spaced pages, describing long-term career goals and how the Ph.D. Program in Nutritional Sciences would advance these goals.
- Three letters of recommendation
- Completed Research Assistantship Application Form.
Research Assistantships and Laboratory Rotations
- Ph.D. are required to apply for a Research Assistantship, which represents an integral part of the Ph.D. program.
- Applicants accepted into the Ph.D. program also may apply to participate in a Laboratory Rotation Program. This program enables students to work four to six months in as many as three laboratories before selecting an advisor.
- March 15 for Fall admission
- October 1 for Spring admission
- February 15 for Fall admission
- August 1 for Spring admission