- (859) 323-4933 ext. 81379
- 900 South Limestone Street, C.T. Wethington Building, Rm:527, Lexington, KY 40536-0200
- Imflammation and Lipoprotein Metabolism Research Group
Ph.D. University of Stellenbosch, South Africa, 1992
My research focuses on HDL metabolism during the acute phase, interaction with cell surface receptors and the development of atherosclerosis. Specific interests are how HDL size and composition changes during the acute phase with a particular focus on the acute phase reactant serum amyloid A protein (SAA), an apoprotein of HDL. To that end a mouse model was generated where the two major SAA isoforms, SAA1.1 and SAA2.1 were deleted. This mouse model is currently employed to gain a better understanding of lipoprotein metabolism during the acute phase and the role of SAA in diseases like atherogenesis and aneurysm utilizing in vitro systems like cell culture to study the flux of lipids between cells and extracellular molecules, as well as in vivo systems such as reverse cholesterol transport during the acute phase.
De Beer, M.C.;Wroblewski, J.M.;Noffsinger, V.P.;Rateri, D.L.;Howatt, D.A.;Balakrishnan, A.;Ji, A.;Shridas, P.;Thompson, J.C.;Westhuyzen, D.R.;Tannock, L.R.;Daugherty, A.;Webb, N.R.;Beer, F.C. "Deficiency of endogenous acute phase serum amyloid A does not affect atherosclerotic lesions in apolipoprotein E-deficient mice." Arteriosclerosis, thrombosis, and vascular biology 34, 2 (2014): 255-61.
De Beer, M.C., Webb, N. R., Wroblewski, J. M., Noffsinger, V., Retari, D. L., Ji A., van der Westhuyzen, D. R., and de Beer, F. C. Impact of serum amyloid A on high density lipoprotein composition and levels. J. Lipid Res. 2010; 51:3117-3125.
Eckhardt, E.R.M. Witta, J., Zhong, J., Arsenescu, R., Arsenescu, V., Wang, Y., Ghoshal, S., de Beer, M.C., de Beer, F.C., and de Villiers, W. J. S. Intestinal epithelial serum amyloid A modulates bacterial growth in vitro and pro-inflammatory responses in mouse experimental colitis. Gastroenterology 2010; 10:133
De Beer, M.C., Ji A., Jahangiri, A., Vaughan, A. M., de Beer, F.C., van der Westhuyzen, D. R. and Webb, N. R. ATP binding cassette G1- dependent cholesterol efflux during inflammation. J. Lipid Res. 2011; 52: 345 – 353.
Ji A., Meyer J. A., Cai, L., Akinmusire A., de Beer M. C., Webb N. R. and van der Westhuyzen, D. R. Scavenger receptor SR-BI in macrophage lipid metabolism. Atherosclerosis 2011; 217: 106-112.
Chiba T., Chang M. Y., Wang S., Wight, T. N., McMillan T. S., Oram J. F., Vaisar T., Heninecke J. W., de Beer, F. C., de Beer M. C., and Chait A. Serum amyloid A facilitates the binding of high-density lipoprotein from mice injected with lipopolysaccharide to vascular proteoglycans. Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2011; 31: 1326-1332.
Ji A., Wroblewski, J. M., Cai, L., de Beer M. C., Webb N. R and van der
Westhuyzen, D. R. Nascent HDL formation in hepatocytes and role of ABCA1,
ABCG1 and SR-BI. J. Lipid Res. 2011, 53:446-455.
De Beer, M.C., Webb, N.R. Whitaker, N.L., Wroblewski, J.M., Jahangiri, A., Van der Westhuyzen, D.R. and De Beer, F.C. SR-BI selective lipid uptake: subsequent metabolism of acute phase HDL. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2009; 29:1298-303
De Beer M.C., Van der Westhuyzen D.R., Whitaker N.L., Webb N.R. and De Beer F.C. SR-BI-mediated selective lipid uptake segregates apoA-I and apoA-II catabolism. J Lipid Res. 2005;46:2143-50.
De Beer, M.C., Castellani, L.W., Cai, L., Stromberg, A.J., de Beer, F.C., Van der Westhuyzen, D.R. ApoA-II modulates the association of HDL with class B scavenger receptors SR-BI and CD36. J Lipid Res. 2004. 45: 706-715.
- Wilson, PG ;Thompson, JC ;Shridas, P.;McNamara, PJ ;De Beer, MC ;Beer, FC ;Webb, NR ;Tannock, LR "Serum Amyloid A Is an Exchangeable Apolipoprotein." Arteriosclerosis, thrombosis, and vascular biology (2018): [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Thompson, JC ;Wilson, PG ;Shridas, P.;Ji, A.;Beer, M.;Beer, FC ;Webb, NR ;Tannock, LR "Serum amyloid A3 is pro-atherogenic." Atherosclerosis 268, (2018): 32-35. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Tannock, LR ;De Beer, MC ;Ji, A.;Shridas, P.;Noffsinger, VP ;Hartigh, L.;Chait, A.;Beer, FC ;Webb, NR "Serum amyloid A3 is a high density lipoprotein-associated acute-phase protein." Journal of lipid research 59, 2 (2018): 339-347. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Kim, MH ;De Beer, MC ;Wroblewski, JM ;Charnigo, RJ ;Ji, A.;Webb, NR ;Beer, FC ;Westhuyzen, DR "Impact of individual acute phase serum amyloid A isoforms on HDL metabolism in mice." Journal of lipid research 57, 6 (2016): 969-79. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]