University of Iowa College of Medicine, Ph.D., 1995
Alcoholism, alcohol abuse, and the medical complications of excessive drinking are major world-wide health problems. There are three long-term goals of my laboratory: (1) Alcohol exposure during development results in fetal alcohol spectrum disorders (FASD) and induces profound damages to the central nervous system (CNS). I am interested in elucidating cellular/molecular mechanisms underlying alcohol-induced damage to the developing brain. Particularly I am interested in the interaction among oxidative stress, endoplasmic reticulum stress and autophagy and how the interaction contributes to alcohol-induced CNS damage. (2) Alcohol is a tumor promoter and enhances the progression of mammary tumor. I am interested in elucidating cellular/molecular mechanisms underlying alcohol-promoted tumor progression, particularly the metastasis of breast cancer cells. (3) Chronic and heavy alcohol abuse causes neurodegeneration and thiamine deficiency (TD). I am interested in elucidating the role of TD in CNS damages caused by chronic alcohol exposure.
1. Liu M, Alimov A, Wang H, Frank JA, Katz W, Xu M, Ke ZJ, Luo J (2014). Thiamine deficiency induces anorexia by inhibiting hypothalamic AMPK expression of MANF in the developing rat brain. Neuroscience 267C:102-113.
2. Wang H, Ke ZJ, Alimov A, Xu M, Frank JA, Fang S, Luo J (2014). Spatiotemporal expression of MANF in the developing rat brain. PLoS One 9(2):e90433
3. Alimov A, Wang H, Liu M, Frank JA, Xu M, Luo J (2013). Expression of autophagy and UPR genes in the developing brain during ethanol-sensitive and resistant Periods. Metabolic Brain Disease 28(4):667-76
4. Chen G, Ke ZJ., Xu M, Liao M., Wang X., Frank JA, Bower KA, Shi X, Luo J. (2012) Autophagy is a protective response to ethanol neurotoxicity. Autophagy 8(11): 1577–1589.
5. Wang X., Ke ZJ., Chen G., Xu M., Bower KA., Frank JA., Zhang Z., Shi X., Luo J. (2012) Cdc42-depdedent activation of NADPH oxidase is involved in ethanol-induced neuronal oxidative stress. PLoS One 7(5):e38075.
6. Wang S, Xu M, Li F, Wang X, Bower KA, Frank JA, Lu Y, Chen G, Zhang Z, Ke Z, Shi X, Luo J. (2012) Ethanol promotes mammary tumor growth and angiogenesis: the involvement of chemoattractant factor MCP-1. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 133(3):1037-48.
7. Xu M, Chen G, Wang S, Liao M, Frank JA, Bower KA, Zhang Z, Shi X, Luo J (2012) Double strand RNA-activated protein kinase regulates the motility of breast cancer cells. PLoS One 7(10):e47721.
8. Xu M, Chen G, Fu W, Liao M, Frank JA, Bower KA, Fang S, Zhang Z, Shi X, Luo J (2012) Ethanol Disrupts Vascular Endothelial Barrier: Implication in Cancer Metastasis. Toxicol Sci. 127(1):42-53.
9. Luo, J. (2012): Mechanisms of ethanol-induced death of cerebellar granule cells. The Cerebellum. 11(1):145-54
10. Ke, ZJ., Wang, X., Liu, Y., Fan, Z., Chen, G., Xu, M., Bower, K., Frank, J., Shi, X., Luo, J (2011) Ethanol induces endoplasmic reticulum stress in the developing brain. Alcohol. Clin. Exp Res. 35(9):1574-1583.
11. Ke, ZJ., Liu, Y., Wang, X., Fan, Z., Chen, G., Xu, M., Bower, K., Frank, J., Ou, X., Shi, X., Luo, J (2011) Cyanidin 3-glucoside ameliorates ethanol neurotoxicity in the developing brain. J. Neurosci. Res. 89(10):1676-84.
12. Xu, M., Bower, KA., Wang SY., Frank, JA., Chen, G., Ding, M., Wang, S., Shi, X., Ke, ZJ., Luo, J. (2010) Cyanidin-3-Glucoside inhibits ethanol-induced invasion of breast cancer cells. Mol Cancer 9:285.
13. Luo, J (2009): Glycogen Synthase Kinase 3ß (GSK3ß) in ethanol neurotoxicity. Mol Neurobiol 40(2):108-21.