West Virginia University, Ph.D., 2005
There are two major research projects in my laboratory. One is ethanol neurotoxicity, in which we investigate the mechanism(s) for ethanol-induced damage to the developing central nervous system and consequent behavioral deficits targeting Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASDs). The other one is carcinogenesis induced by environmental factors, such as arsenic and UV.
FASD and the cancers caused by environmental factors are severe public health problems. The ultimate goal for our research is to find strategies for the prevention and treatment of these diseases. Our overall approach is first to determine the molecular mechanism(s) underlying the diseases. Then we will identify the responsible targets (genes, proteins or signaling pathways) using pharmacological or genetic manipulation methods. Finally, we will confirm the results using animal studies.
1. Yuanlin Qi, Mingfang Zhang, Hui Li, Jacqueline Frank, Lu Dai, Huijuan Liu, Gang Chen. MicroRNA-29b regulates ethanol-induced neuronal apoptosis in the developing cerebellum through Sp1/Rax/PKR cascade. J Biol Chem. 2014 Feb 19. [Epub ahead of print].
2. Yuanlin Qi, Hui Li, Mingfang Zhang, Tao Zhang, Jacqueline Frank, Gang Chen. Autophagy in arsenic carcinogenesis. Exp Toxicol Phathol. 2014 Feb. 14. [Epub ahead of print].
3. Lei Wang, Fei Chen, Zhuo Zhang, Gang Chen, Jia Luo, Xianglin Shi. Cancer stem cells in the mechanism of metal carcinogenesis. J Environ Pathol Toxicol Oncol. 2012;31(3):245-63.
4. Tao Zhang; Yuanlin Qi; Mingjun Liao; Mei Xu; Kimberley A. Bower; Jacqueline A. Frank ; Han-Ming Shen; Jia Luo; Xianglin Shi, Gang Chen. Autophagy is a cell self-protective mechanism against arsenic-induced cell transformation. Toxicol Sci. 2012 Aug 5.
5. Gang Chen; Zunji Ke; Mei Xu; Mingjun Liao; Xin Wang; Yuanlin Qi, Tao Zhang, Jacqueline A. Frank ; Kimberly A. Bower; Xianglin Shi; Jia Luo. Autophagy is a Protective Response to Ethanol Neurotoxicity. Autophagy