West Virginia University, Ph.D., 2005
There are two major research directions in my laboratory. One is ethanol neurotoxicity, in which we investigate the mechanism(s) for ethanol-induced damage to the developing central nervous system and consequent behavioral deficits targeting Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASDs). The other one is carcinogenesis induced by environmental factors, such as arsenic and UV.
FASD and the cancers caused by environmental factors are severe public health problems. The ultimate goal for our research is to find strategies for the prevention and treatment of these diseases. Our overall approach is first to determine the molecular mechanism(s) underlying the diseases. Then we will identify the responsible targets (genes, proteins or signaling pathways) using pharmacological or genetic manipulation methods. Finally, we will confirm the results using animal studies.
1. Gang Chen. STAT3 in arsenic lung carcinogenesis. Oncoimmunology. 2015 Jan 22;4(4):e995566. eCollection 2015 Apr.
2. Yuanlin Qi, Mingfang Zhang, Hui Li, Jacqueline Frank, Lu Dai, Huijuan Liu, Zhuo Zhang, Chi Wang, Gang Chen. Autophagy inhibition by sustained over-production of IL-6 contributes to arsenic-induced carcinogenesis. Cancer Res. 2014 May 15. pii: canres.3182.2013. [Epub ahead of print].
3. Yuanlin Qi, Mingfang Zhang, Hui Li, Jacqueline Frank, Lu Dai, Huijuan Liu, Gang Chen. MicroRNA-29b regulates ethanol-induced neuronal apoptosis in the developing cerebellum through Sp1/Rax/PKR cascade. J Biol Chem. 2014 Feb 19.
4. Tao Zhang; Yuanlin Qi; Mingjun Liao; Mei Xu; Kimberley A. Bower; Jacqueline A. Frank ; Han-Ming Shen; Jia Luo; Xianglin Shi, Gang Chen. Autophagy is a cell self-protective mechanism against arsenic-induced cell transformation. Toxicol Sci. 2012 Aug 5.
5. Gang Chen; Zunji Ke; Mei Xu; Mingjun Liao; Xin Wang; Yuanlin Qi, Tao Zhang, Jacqueline A. Frank ; Kimberly A. Bower; Xianglin Shi; Jia Luo. Autophagy is a Protective Response to Ethanol Neurotoxicity. Autophagy. 2012 Nov 1:8(11).