Sep, 2019: Research Assistant Professor, Markey Cancer Center, DPNS, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
Jan, 2015-Aug, 2019: Research Scientist, Markey Cancer Center, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
Oct, 2010-Dec, 2014: Postdoctoral Scholar, Markey Cancer Center, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
2005 - 2010: Ph.D. Developmental Biology, IOZ, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China
2001 - 2005: B.Sc. Biology, Nanchang University, China
My long-term research interest is to uncover the molecular mechanism leading to therapy resistance in breast cancer and improve current therapeutic strategies for breast cancer patients. I was trained as an animal biologist during my PhD prepared me to be expertise in breast cancer modeling and animal handling. Since my postdoctoral training, I have more than nine years’ experiences in breast cancer research, and have an extensive record for 13 publications in Dr. Ren Xu’s lab at the University of Kentucky. My academic training and research experience have provided me with an excellent background in multiple biological disciplines, including molecular biology, developmental biology, biochemistry and cell biology. I have a strong passion in identifying potential biomarkers and therapeutic targets for cancer treatment, and developing new mouse models and techniques to test novel hypothesis.
1. Xiong G, Chen J, Zhang G, Wang S, Kawasaki K, Zhu J, Zhang Y, Nagata K, Li Z, Zhou BP, Xu R. Hsp47 promotes cancer metastasis by enhancing collagen-dependent cancer cell-platelet interaction. PNAS (2020 Jan, Accepted).
2. Yin H, Xiong G, Guo S, Xu C, Xu R, Guo P, Shu D. Delivery of Anti-miRNA for Triple-Negative Breast Cancer Therapy Using RNA Nanoparticles Targeting Stem Cell Marker CD133. Mol Ther. 2019 Jul 3;27(7):1252-1261.
3. Xiong G, Stewart R, Chen J, Gao T, Scott TL, Samayoa LM, O’Connor K, Lane AN, Xu R.Collagen proly- hydroxylase is essential for HIF-1α stabilization and TNBC chemoresistance. Nature Communications. 2018 Oct
4. Zhang H, Fredericks T, Xiong G, Qi Y, Li J, Pihlajaniemi T, Xu W, and Xu R, Membrane associated collagen XIII promotes cancer metastasis and enhances anoikis resistance. Breast Cancer Research. 2018 Oct
5. Li L, Chen J, Xiong G, St Clair DK, Xu W, Xu R. Increased ROS production in non-polarized mammary epithelial cells induces monocyte infiltration in 3D culture. J Cell Sci. 2017 Jan
6. Xiong G, Xu R. Function of cancer cell-derived extracellular matrix in tumor progression. J Cancer Metasta Treat. 2016.
7. Xiong G, Flynn T, Chen J, Trinkle CA, Xu R. Development of an ex vivo breast cancer lung colonization model utilizing decellularized lung matrix. Integrative Biology. 2015 Dec (featured on the front cover).
8. Zhu J, Xiong G* (* Co-first author), Hanjiang Fu, Mark Evers B., Binhua P. Zhou, Ren Xu. Chaperone Hsp47 drives malignant growth and invasion by modulating an ECM gene network. Cancer Res 2015 Apr.
9. Shu D, Li H, Shu Y, Xiong G, Xu R, Carson WE 3rd, Haque F, Guo P. Systemic Delivery of Anti-miRNA for Suppression of Triple Negative Breast Cancer Utilizing RNA Nanotechnology. ACS Nano. 2015 Oct.
10. Xiong G, Xu R. ROR alpha Suppresses Cells Proliferation and cell cycle progression by binding to E2F1 and reducing its acetylation. Mol Cell Biol. 2014
11. Xiong G, Deng L, Zhu J, Rychahou PG, Xu Ren. Prolyl-4-hydroxylase α subunit 2 promotes breast cancer progression and metastasis by regulating collagen deposition. BMC Cancer. 2014 Jan
12. Zhu JQ, Xiong G, Trinkle C, Xu R. Integrated extracellular matrix signaling in mammary gland development and breast cancer progression. Histol Histopathol. 2014 Mar
13. Becker-Weimann S, Xiong G, Furuta S, Han J, Kuhn I, Akavia UD, Pe'er D, Bissell MJ, Xu R. NFkB disrupts tissue polarity in 3D by preventing integration of microenvironmental signals. Oncotarget. 2013 Oct
14. Xiong G, Wang C, Evers BM, Zhou BP, Xu R. RORα suppresses breast tumor invasion by inducing SEMA3F expression. Cancer Res. 2012 Apr (Top story of Mammary cell News).
15. Xiong GF, Zhang YS, Han BC, Chen W, Yang Y, Peng JP. Estradiol-regulated proline-rich acid protein 1 is repressed by class I histone deacetylase and functions in peri-implantation mouse uterus. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2011 Jan
16. Yu MF, Fang WN, Xiong GF, Yang Y, Peng JP. Evidence for the inhibition of fertilization in vitro by anti- ZP3 antisera derived from DNA vaccine. Vaccine. 2011 Jul
17. Chen W, Han BC, Wang RC, Xiong GF, Peng JP. Role of secretory protease inhibitor SPINK3 in mouse uterus during early pregnancy. Cell Tissue Res. 2010 Sep
18. Zhang YS, Xiong, Peng JP. Effects of TGF beta-1 on mouse embryo implantation and expression of H2-D1 and H2-DM. Front Biosci. 2010 Jan